As you may know there's a Google Summer of Code program again this year.
The deadline for student applications is April 9th at 19:00 UTC, so if you're a student and you want to work on a coreboot (open-source BIOS / PC firmware) or flashrom (open-source BIOS chip flasher) project, please apply in time.
The following coreboot/flashrom GSOC project ideas have been proposed so far (but you can also suggest your own ideas, of course):
- Infrastructure for automatic code checking
- TianoCore on coreboot
- coreboot port to Marvell ARM SOCs with PCIe
- coreboot port to AMD 800 series chipsets
- coreboot mass-porting to AMD 780 series mainboards
- coreboot panic room
- coreboot cheap testing rig
- coreboot GeodeLX port from v3 to v4
- Drivers for libpayload
- Board config infrastructure
- Refactor AMD code
- Payload infrastructure
- flashrom: Multiple GUIs for flashrom
- flashrom: Recovery of dead boards and onboard flash updates
- flashrom: SPI bitbanging hardware support
- flashrom: Generic flashrom infrastructure improvements
- flashrom: Laptop support
See this wiki page for why and how to apply for a coreboot/flashrom project.